Some of your belongings are more delicate than others. Such include jewellery, fine art among other antiques. Proper storage and maintenance is therefore mandatory for such items to ensure they are always in pristine condition. Logistics Management is extremely important. The following tips will prove to be very helpful in ensuring your valuables remain safe in the coming years.
1. Avoid handling the artwork as much as you can: The fragile nature of the artwork can easily be damaged if not handled carefully. To reduce this risk, support the artwork form underneath or carry it by the two end corners, instead of pinching it.
2. Storage environment matters a lot: A stable and consistent environment is key, especially for artwork in storage. This means that atmospheric conditions like temperature and relative humidity should not fluctuate drastically in the long run. The quality of air should also be good and free of dust, dirt and other contaminants. Also, the more environment friendly, the storage boxes, the better. This is what eco-friendly removalists Sydney have been trying to preach in the local community.
3. Paintings and paper works are very sensitive to light: These artworks will fade and the sheets will loose their integrity when they are exposed to natural light over a long period of time. It is very important to frame your items under a glass that filters out the harmful UV ray, especially if you are intending to display your collections.
4. Canvases should be leaned on exclusively flat surface to avoid leaving dents which could damage the art. The canvas should be leaned against the wood of the stretcher bars to ensure nothing presses against it.
5. Consider storage facility options: If your current storage space is not sufficient to conveniently store your collection, consider relocating some of them to a reputed art storage facility. Consider the following before settling on a particular storage facility:
– the viewing cost
– extra fees
– types of fire suppression
– Natural disaster plans
– The billing arrangements
6. All types of glassware should be stored in dust free, dry and pest free environment to prevent scratches and breakages.
7. The original packing materials should be kept well. This is essential in making sure that the delicate items are packed and stored safely in case of any transition.
8. Often wear your jewellery. The oil in your skin will serve to ”clean” and maintain the shiny condition of your jewellery. Also remember to remove jewellery when performing household chores to avoid tarnishing and corroding them.
9. Always start from the highest point when cleaning porcelain. Remove the dirt and dust with a dry and soft brush.
10. It is very important to keep record of all your collection. The artwork should be well organized at all times, irrespective of the medium.
Keep these tips in mind during your next move!